Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Christian Politics and Dedrick Christian Church

Well, Dan and I did a politics series at Dedrick. Yes we are still the ministers there. It actually went pretty well, I mean as well as expected. We had intended to do five weeks of the topics I posted earlier. Instead however we did 3.

The first class was about whether or not Jesus was political, it went well everyone agrees Jesus was political cool. The second class was on Christian Politics and America. This was my class. It didn't go so well. The main point was simply that Christian Politics are not about America. I emphasized that while the arguement has been made that the founding fathers of America were Christian, many were deists including Jefferson. Also the declaration of independence names life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as the primary values of the American constitution. I talked about the politics of Jesus revolving around service and sacrafice. I emphazied that the church ought to do politics the way Jesus did, i.e. through service, sacrafice and self abnegation (to steal from Mark Moore). I said that being political isn't the question, the question is how to be political. Thus the politics of America are not the politics of Jesus. I think the biggest difficulty most people had, especially Russel was asking, "Why can't Christians do both? Why can't Christians seek to change people through evangelism and engage in politics." My response was that by not engaging in certain politics were are not being apolitical, we are being political in a different way, which is our politic. Anyway, most people did agree or they didn't see why we don't need both.

The third class was done by Dan. It was intended to deal with a Christian repsonse to contemporary political issues. To begin the class, however, he decided to do a brief overview of the arguements from the previous class on why Christian politics aren't about America. The first one he brought up is that America didn't have a Christian reason to go to war with England. It is almost universally agreed upon that the main impetus behind the revolutionary war was taxation without representation. This sidetracked the class for the rest of the time. The discussion became about pacificsm and how Christians ought to protect themselves. Russel brought up the violent Jesus in Revelation. Anyway, the class got a bit heated as Russel questioned us. He said he felt that we were 'throwing away the blood of patriots that have fought for our freedom' I don't know if that is exactly what he said, but the gist of it. Anyway, because of how heated it got, Connie brought up a past situation where she left the church because of conflict. As a result we are discontinuing the series.

This situation has been a really important situation for me. I don't regret for a minute talking about politics or what Christians should do. I feel like some of the people listened to what Dan and I were saying, I don't know that anyone agreed, but some listened. I do wish we could have dicussed the issue without as much sharp disagreement. I don't mind disagreement, but there were some harsh tones in the room. I wonder, how is it that we have allowed our allegiances to American politics govern our relationship to other Christians. Hauerwas in Resident Aliens makes the point that though we all claim to be devoted to the kingdom first, protestants and catholics have killed each other in the name of their nations. What are your thoughts? I will admit that I prayed after I taught questioning whether or not I was doing the right thing. I did not hear an explict answer, but I'm okay with how things ended with the series. I just pray that God would help us to be more faithful as Christians. No King but Christ, right?

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

By the way, for those who don't know. Russel is a member of the church who is a devoted follower of Jesus and has a strong devotion to the Bible. He has strong convictions (I mean that it a good way) and argues vigorously for them. Connie, is also an wonderful Christian. She experienced a difficult situation in a previous church concerning eschatology. They both made some good points, and are trying to honestly sort through the issues, just as me and dan are.

11:31 AM  
Blogger David G. Fish said...

Hey, Tyler,

Somebody said context is important. Vernon County, Missouri is not the intellectual center of the state. I think you did the right thing in suspending the rest of the series. It may be impossible for them to separate themselves from their context, to see the points you were trying to make. All of us have cultural filters before our eyes, and until someone challenges our presuppositions, it is nearly impossible to see them. Let the seed remain there, and it may grow at some later time.

I remember the first time I was exposed to liberation theology (30 years ago!!), and I am afraid that I had a Russell-like reaction. Though I do not agree with conclusions of liberationist thought, I do understand the context in which it was born. I also understand that Christ transcends all cultures. One day we will be free of cultural trappings:

This world is not my home, I'm just a-passing through,
My treasures is laid up, Somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.


Peace to all the ambassabloggers!


Random Thoughts from a Fish

1:11 PM  
Blogger EricEpp said...

As one who has taught a similar series in a Bible Belt, Republican voting church I applaud your bravery for tackling such a risky topic. Of course, I applaud you louder for discontinuing it when it looked like it could hurt the church. I completely agree that this is a topic that needs to be addressed and am thankful for people like Mark Moore and Donald Miller who, like Paul Revere, are trying to warn others about the danger that lies ahead. However, I consider myself to be in the mold of George Washington and "cannot tell a lie". Therefore, this might be a topic that all of us should leave on the shelf until we gain the trust of a congregation (which takes years) and live life with people who lost husbands fighting for this country. And in the meantime, put books in the hands of those who want to search out answers. Please don't read this like I am coming down on you guys, I fought the same battle about 18 months ago. I know you are the right leaders of that congregation. Continue to urge them to ask the right questions.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Eric-
Thanks for the advice about putting books in their hands and such. I gave them a bibliography of books to read in the area of Christian politics as well as a list of other really good books not necessarily about politics. I also deeply appreciate the affirmation that we are the right leaders of the congregation. Most of the time I feel deeply inadequate to lead a church, I don’t know what that means exactly, but wisdom from friends and those further along is always helpful and needed. We will certainly continue to preach Jesus and his politics through our actions and as we work our way through the biblical text. If Jesus truly was what we think he was it ought to show up in the bible of all places.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God's Politics : Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It (Hardcover)
by Jim Wallis

The Left Hand of God: Taking Back Our Country from the Religious Right (Hardcover)
by Michael Lerner

4:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Who are you djwwftw?

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just a desert wanderer

11:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What are the book recommendations about? Are these books you think I ought to put in the hands of my congregation or that I should read? I'm fairly familar with Christian political reading and I have read a bit of Wallis but nothing from Lerner. From the title it sounds like we would disagree, that he has missed the point of the discussion. That doesn't mean I shouldn't read it, but that maybe you might not have understood what I'm trying to say.

The lack of clarity on your responses to posts makes it difficult to dialogue with you. What is your theological tradition? Where do you live? What role are you in the church (which ever church it is that you are a part of)? How long have you been dealing with these issues? How long have you been a Christian?

To be fair, everyone on this blog comes from a Christian church background (i.e. the restoration movement, which doesn't mean we all agree with our tradition, but that is where we come from), each of us is in Bible college or graduated from, we serve in a variety of ways, and these are issues we have been struggling through as a community for over a year.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Thom Stark said...

Go, Dog, Go! (Hardcover)
Dr. Seuss

Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography
John Dominic Crossan

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home